The Blue Bell at Cocking was bought by the community in 2019 after being closed for more than 18 months. After extensive internal refurbishment the pub reopened its doors in December last year and since that time has seen a steadily increasing wet and dry trade. Its smartly refurbished Bed and Breakfast rooms opened in March just as CV-19 hit us all and we were obliged to close and furlough our staff. During the downtime the exterior work is now being completed including a complete redecoration of the exterior of the building. More information on the background can be found here www.bluebellhub.org.
The village of Cocking is located 3 miles South of Midhurst and 8 miles North of Chichester and is situated at the heart of the South Downs National Park and just off the popular South Downs Way. Cocking is also on various cycling circuits in the area. The Blue Bell is in the centre of this rural village on the busy A286 adjacent to a regular bus service. The village of Cocking has a population of approximately 420; with surrounding villages the population is in excess of 1000.
The facilities include bar (free house), restaurant/café, bed and breakfast (3/4 double rooms), new kitchen, good sized garden and large patio, bicycle parking, cleaning and repair facilities, a South Downs National Park Visitor Centre and the potential for a small shop.
We are looking for a talented and experienced Manager/Management Couple to take the reins at this warm and friendly Community Hub and help us build on what we as a village have already achieved. The creation of the Hub has injected new energy into the village and the surrounding area. There is a regular calendar of events where the community come together, often in collaboration with the Village Hall, where activities catering to all ages can be accommodated. As a community owned hub with more than 135 members, there is a loyal following and support of the business.
Salary and benefits package (including a performance related bonus) will be negotiated commensurate with skills and experience and industry norms, and subject to follow up of references.
The Pub Manager/Management Couple will take on the following responsibilities and have the attributes, skills and experience to meet the challenge.
- Takeover total financial and operational management of the business
- Liaise closely with the project group, through one single point of contact, to agree business and community amenity goals and regularly report on all aspects of the operation.
- Deliver superior guest services in all areas and ensure continued customer satisfaction. Where necessary, respond efficiently to customer complaints.
- Create operational rosters and procedures to ensure consistent service delivery by your team.
- Appraise team member’s performance and provide feedback and training to keep them in line with business goals.
- Estimate consumption, forecast requirements and maintain inventory. Monitor and ensure compliance with HSE and Fire Safety Regulations, sanitation and safety rules and other applicable regulations.
- Oversee the daily management and upkeep of the property for safety, cleanliness and regulatory hygiene.
- Nurture a positive working environment and lead by example.
- Monitor all operations and initiate corrective actions.
- You thrive under pressure and have the “fire in the belly” to be able to energise your team members and create and manage outstanding performance standards.
- You have at least 5 years’ experience in Pub General Management (references will be required).
- You are able to demonstrate strong financial management skills and business acumen and have excellent knowledge of the latest sales and marketing trends.
- You can demonstrate excellent communication skills and innovative promotional ideas
- You are community spirited and want to serve and promote the wellbeing of the community
- You have comprehensive food and drink knowledge.
- You are computer literate, familiar with pub management software such as EposNow and can demonstrate you have relevant experience in electronic stocktaking and performance reporting.
- You are able to motivate a team with strong leadership, management and people skills.
- You’ll set yourself and your team the highest standard.
- All Candidates must have a valid personal licence and driving licence.
You’ll be working with our bar team plus our chef and his team who have already, in the very short time since we opened in December, built an excellent rapport, reputation for friendliness, and quality of service and food offering (food hygiene level 5). The post comes with accommodation.
If you would like an informal chat over the phone/skype In the first instance, given the current difficult circumstances, please contact us at email@example.com and send in a comprehensive CV. For more background information please visit our websites listed below.
We look forward to hearing from you.